El Museo is hiring a Gallery Assistant to support the production and presentation of our exhibitions and programs. This is a part-time (20 hours per week), in-person position.
The Gallery Assistant’s primary responsibility is to be in the gallery space at 91 Allen Street during gallery open hours noon–4pm Wednesday–Saturday, with extended hours for First Fridays and Gallery receptions, and reduced hours between exhibitions. Hours may flex with Pandemic situations.
Clerical and maintenance duties occupy some of the time of typical gallery hours. It is anticipated that the Gallery Assistant will also have time to read, do homework, and/or make small crafts during the open hours.
About El Museo
Founded in 1981, El Museo Francisco Oller y Diego Rivera presents exhibitions of contemporary work by underserved artists, and cultural programming that engages diverse communities through the arts and humanities. We operate out of a storefront gallery space at 91 Allen Street in Buffalo. We are proud to have been a lasting presence in our community, as a space where one may encounter the other through art, where artists can interface with the public and challenge us to widen our horizons.
- Staff and maintain the gallery space during public hours
- Process sales, donations, and memberships
- Receive and document mail including checks and invoices
- Post to social media
- Assist with installation of exhibitions
- Friendly and welcoming demeanor
- Attention to detail
- Interest in and knowledge about contemporary art and the Buffalo regional arts scene; prior experience at an arts organization is a plus
- Interest in and knowledge about equity and social justice in the arts
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse audiences and partners
- Up to date Covid vaccination
To apply, please send a resume, contact information for three references (references will only be contacted after a successful interview) and one-page letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Gallery Assistant.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin in January 2022.
El Museo is an equal opportunity employer. We highly encourage applications from people of color, women, and LGBTQ individuals.